Re: Monthly chat December 2015

I don't plan on watching Starwars, I'm personally not really a fan of that kind of thing. But it's the last day of school before holidays, it's just a half day, and as far as I know I'm exempt from my semester exams today, which probably means I'm going to continue my project of the month, (not officially but it's what I've been working on all month), the building system in my new side scrolling game engine I'm working on.
  I don't actually think this building system has ever been tried before in audio games, so basically here's my process.
1. Figure out how I want to code an aspect the system.
2. Open Pure Basic, and throw down some code that I... assume might work?
3. Laugh in surprise when I run it and find that it works, which is usually about 75% of the time, or shrug otherwise and try again.

  I started a topic earlier this months about shift keys in the general games discussion room, and the system I've been working on was why. This month I coded some (unrealistic but useful) arms, that can be used to both drop and throw items, as well as connecting building materials to structures in order to, well, build them, as well as a new experimental system of feeling. Basically, the way you "feel" objects in my game engine is that, say you're standing on a platform, you hold left shift, and while you're holding that you press down arrow, causing it to tap on the platform segment you are standing on. It will report "segment of platform name, with a length of segment length, and thickness of segment thickness", with platform name, segment length, and segment thickness being substituted for their respective values.
  You can also feel things out to the left, right, or above you, as far as your arms can reach.
  I'm sorry for boring you all with that rant about my new side scrolling game mechanics, I really am. I just got overly excited when writing about it. Please forgive me. big_smile