Re: Monthly chat December 2015

@Gamesmaster, that's cool, so long as people don't skimp on presents and just give you one lot :d.

And just think, if you'd been born just a few hours later you'd have been a year younger.

@Nial, no ideas on careers, but I did once meet a lady who'd taught English, and indeed Spanish in Japan, and had really liked it, indeed she went on to be a language teacher.
I'm actually going to the states for three weeks not one, indeed it would've been a full month accept for Reever's vaccinations needing 22 days, though in fairness that would've made it quite a rush to get everything sorted out.
I've unfortunately not heard of any audio described buffy and angel, or indeed firefly come to that. I actually don't mind the adventure of the week format, not when it's done well and mixed in with ongoing plot, so that you have a nice balance of something new and a story to keep you hooked. This is what some book series, particularly the urban fantasy ones like Dresden and Sandman Slim are doing and it's popular, albeit I've yet to find an urban fantasy I really liked, (lots are fun though I've not found any yet that are mind blowing).

Ironically, in both Buffy and Angel it's the characters, dialogue and plot that I like, the things Weeden excells at. The vampires and demons and such are what you'd expect, but it's how they're dealt with, for example in the episode of Angel I watched last night one guy from the evil demonic law firm, the ones who are always seen doing shady deals with the bad guys but never getting their hands dirty was asked to authorize the assassination of three children.
He then did a runner to tell Angel said news, but is wavering as to whether he should be loyal to the firm or do the right thing, and what is particularly cool is this being Joss Weaden, I really don't know which way he'll go.

Oh, and just for amusement value the assassin is a woman with awsome combat skills who was trained to have unnatural powers of perception by an order of cave dwelling monks, so maskerades as being blind, something which the evil lawyers use when she winds up in court to get her off even when she's found literally holding the proverbial bloody knife.

It's not even the "super blind" syndrome, sinse it's made pretty clear she isn't blind, even though her eyes don't work, she just plays on the cultural sterriotype of blind people as helpless.

@Nin, I could go on for hours about Tolkien and his universe, a great subject to study. I would also highly recommend the Encyclopedia of Arda not only as a great reference (with some handy articles), but also as a useful source of tolkien related links from the scholarly to the silly.

I definitely sympathise with not seeing your girlfriend. At t the moment my la dy and I are spending several hours a day on the phone in trans atlantic phone calls, but it's certainly not the same.

Well today, despite sleeping extremely badly I've got lots of stuff to do (aside from said long phone call), including go to the bank and pick up my traveler's checks for the states, transfer everything! onto my new passport drive to take with me (sinse my lady and I do a lot of swapping of books and music), and also phone my mobile company to see about using my Iphone over there.

Oh, and also at some point I have to start on the blindfold games from kid friendly software, sinse I have actually now played Blindfold breakout and I do feel a little bad that all of these don't have db pages sinse the developer has done such a great job, ---- as well as being a nice guy.

Breakout is actually pretty cool and I'll likely keep it on my phone, indeed I'll probably pick up most of the others in the series. The only one that I 've tried so far was an earlier version of blindfold racer, which I think still had some buggy control issues that made it rather difficult to play.

Well now Coffee is needed!