Re: Monthly chat April 2016

@Aprone, Your right, there is no list of sighted developers of audiogames, sinse it would be a little screwy. there is also no real specific conclusion to draw sinse things have been in a vast range, from developers working for kids, to developers who create stuff that is overly symplistic, to developers who make short play arcade or traditional games like Ian humphries, going right up to developers who make some mega complex stuff such bas Jason Alan's Entombed or Touchmint with Adventure to fate.

Sometimes they're experimental things, sometimes they're because the developer is just interested in the idea, sometimes they're a thesis. Likewise, some developers leave, some stick around. The only really major difference is that when sighted developers who are themselves gamers set out to create more involved or mechanically detailed games, they have rather more knolidge of mechanics to draw on.

For example,I recall a debate I had with Thomas ward a few years ago where I remarked that all the audiogames that were side scrollers such as superliam had fixed walking speeds, jumping arcs and stopping distances, while in most graphical games, even those made in the days before thumb sticks, touch screens and analogue controlers, walking speeds and jump distances were based on how long you held the button or direction down and what you'd done previously, eg, when you push right in super mario brothers, mario's walking speed increases until he's at top speed, and with his speed increase it'll take him more time to stop, (more so if the run button is held).

Obviously blind developers never got to play the original graphical games, so never had the experience, which has a knock on affect on basic game mechanics, then again before I go off on my old rant of "judgement! not reaction is what makes a good game" I'll stop.

@Ishen, We don't know at the moment. Getting legally married depen ds upon applying for visas and lots of things for my fiance to stay in Britain, indeed it turns out I'll save massive amounts of money by getting married in the states and then applying for my lady to enter the country after we're married, rather than for her trying to apply to enter the country and get married and then have to apply to stay as my wife. It's all a major headache. Besides, sinse neither her parents nor my parents can travel and because we've both got friends on either side of the atlantic we're probably going to have two ceremonies anyway.

In terms of the important bit of being married, ie, emotional as opposed to legal, we pretty much both decided that just before christmas, although it was more an acknolidgement of something we both knew than anything else, indeed I didn't ask my lady and she didn't ask me, we both asked each other on a count of three and then went to buy engagement rings next day.

As to "unmarrie d so far" well actually we've been remarkably quick about it, indeed so quick it's surprising, albeit as I said rather inevitable that it was going to happen. To say we first lived together officially as a couple for a week in November, then my lady's visa ran out and she had to go back to the states, then we met up in december and within the first week we'd got engaged.
I don't know if your bit of India is one of the places where it's more common for parents to arrange marriages for their children or for couples to not live together before the wedding, but obviously that's different over here, heck there are some couples who live together in very stable relationships for years but don't feel the spiritual or legal need to have the ceremony, albeit that sinse my lady is a christian and I at least believe in God, I do think there is something to be said for a divine acknolidgement, after all for various weerd reasons it's extrem ely odd that my lady and I ended up together at all, chances against it happening were staggering, indeed if you'd told me this time last year that a girl who I'd at that point just had a casual chat with via e-mail and was just preparing to meet at Aims music school in April would a year later be someone I was going to spend the rest of my life with I'd have thought you'd been at the funny mushrooms big_smile.

@Tjt, all of aprone's games are worth a try, though I'd have to say castaways 1 (and probably soon to be two), as well as Swamp are personal favourites, then again I've had fun with all of them, though sadly not has as much time on swamp as some people or as I would've liked.

    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Ishan Dhami via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Ishan Dhami via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : vgstormlover via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Centauri via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : blindncool via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Mirage via Audiogames-reflector