Re: Monthly chat July 2016

@Dino, a panel is an interesting idea, though it'd still have to happen at some sort of event with an interest in audiogames, and we've not seen any of those thus far. Usually the most that happens with audiogames is that someone produces and publicises the "inivative new project of games with sound and how this will change things in the future", which  results usually in one or two very glitsy games with lots of prestige and coverage and usually extremely good sound effects, but not a long life. Such projects usually run out of steam until the next time.
It happened with sound voyager back on the gameboy advanced a few years ago, and with various other projects, most recently somethinelse and then a blind legend, and it'll probably happen again, but until audiogames  become a little better known I don't know how long it'll take for things to get off the ground outside the indi community, albeit said indi community has massively i ncreased over the past few years and what has been made both in volume and inn concept has generally been a build on what's been there before.

In other matters, Consider Phlebas is good, though i disliked how incomplete and generally unsatisfying the ending was. That was sort of Bank's point of course, but it did make for an unsatisfying conclusion, plus I found the final third or so of the book a little draggy and lacking in direction, then again it was banks first sf novel and the first with The Culture.

Look to Windward, which is sort of a sequel (or at least it mentions some events), was a generally better book I thought, though also pretty grim, however my two favourite culture novels thus far have been player of games and Invertions, though Invertions is  a very different story being set entirely on a pre contact planet, it actually reads almost like a GEorge R R Martin style fantasy novel though we know that the "magic" is actually advan ced technology in this case.

I need to read the rest of the culture books.

City of Mirrors is absolutely awesome! I can't believe the climax. It's odd, it breaks a lot of rules from deus ex machina too last minute escapes, and yet it works amazingly well, and I can't explain it,. My reading has been slightly interupted both by playing manamon, and with a really nice evening yesterday going to a theatre that also serves food where we watched Mary poppins.

The musical was actually fairly awesome, because it was a decidedly darker and distinctly more plot driven story than the disney film, albeit it did use the majority of the songs from the film though added some new ones. it even featured an evil nanny who Mary poppins had a duel with who had an amazingly nasty song about how she bought up children by force feeding them bad tasting medicine big_smile.