Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update Accessibility

I also use the NVDA next snapshots, and there are very few issues that I've encountered. There are a couple places in the settings app that aren't very accessible yet, such as where you can specify active hours for updates. But seeing as I've configured mine to only notify me when updates are available anyway, I don't need to mess with that. It could be a problem for those who need it. having said that, I haven't tried to configure those time pickers with Narrator, so this may be an option.

Personally, I like the new start menu layout, but it will probably take a bit to get used to for some folks. Also, first letter navigation is still partially broken. This is something I really hope Microsoft will fix sometime in the future. You can't, for example, continuously type c until you find C Cleaner, nor can you type the letter C for C Cleaner, then change your mind and type D for Defraggler. Of course, to get around this, you can use the search box, which is much improved, at least with NVDA.

Edge support still isn't really there yet, but frankly, I'm not holding my breath for that anyway. And, as a Firefox and occasional Chrome user, I don't have any particular feelings one way or the other about Edge.

On the email lists I follow, there was a great deal of confusion expressed about where the power button is now located. it's still in the start menu, but you need to tab to get to that column of options, where your user folder can also be found. But keep in mind that there's a simpler way of doing that, too. You can press Windows x, and scroll through the menu until you find shut down or sign out in there.

Hopefully I've been able to provide a balanced perspective of what changes and accessibility hurdles to expect in the anniversary update. Someone previously mentioned the UAC dialogs, and that's pretty annoying, I have to admit. I have UAC disabled, but lots of people belie ve that to do so is a grave security risk, so it's unacceptable that such an essential Windows feature can't be navigated by any screen reader at this time.