Re: Your Experience with Sleeping Patterns

From what I've heard, this happens because blind people can't see sunlight so something isn't stimulated properly. But I don't really believe this theory. I can still see light and sunlight but that doesn't help. Also some sighted people have bad sleeping patterns too, it's actually a sleep disorder called non 24 and is precisely what we are talking about. I don't think they really know what's truly behind it or what causes it, and unfortunately, only some drugs have seemed to have moderate success (according to Wikipedia anyway). It's not something you can tame with careful personal management.

I pretty much can identify with everything said here. I joke I've woken up or gone to bed at any conceivable time of day at least once or twice in my life. It gets bad. Try going to bed at 10 AM and waking up at 6 PM. That's the worst. You're totally off track. For me, I have intermittent cycles where I'll be in alignme nt, sometimes for months, but will either gradually drift out, or suddenly one night will stay up an extra 6 hours because I'm excited about something, and next thing you know I'm knocked out of alignment
for months. Sometimes my body gets stuck on a certain 24-hour pattern for weeks. This is awesome if it gets stuck at reasonable times, but often it gets stuck at the stupid times like 10 AM and 6 PM I mentioned above. I get cranky when I don't get sleep when I want it, and get equally cranky when trying to fix it because the only thing that works is a combination of forcing and... having faith that it will sort. It does eventually.

My favorite sleep schedule is something nice and early like going to bed at 8 PM and geting up at 4. Then I have a bit of a buffer to drift forward, because that's what I normally do. About a month ago my sleep schedule was precisely that, after a long shift of being nocturnal. Now it's drifting, it has been for the p ast two weeks, and now I'm going to bed at 2 AM and waking up at 10. If I get too excited about something one night, I might well ruin all sense of normality and give it the gentle nudge it needs for me to be pulling all nighters again.

When I was little, my parents, as most will, insisted I have a tight bedtime regime. It didn't work that well. I often wasn't tired at bedtime and couldn't sleep for hours. I would fall asleep in school. People tell me dozing in class is such a bad thing and how they've come close to nodding off but never have because it's so bad. I've outright dozed, and even accidentally started snoring a few times. I know I'm not the only one but it embarrasses me. I've slept in class so many times I can't even pretend to estimate how many. It's well into the thousands. In high school I would suffer academically because of it. In college, when my sleeping patterns started becoming a real problem and were becoming less predictable, I wised up and recorded virtually all my lectures because I never knew when I'd be too tired to concentrate, or just in case I wanted to remember them. I became so reliant on recordings that I stopped taking notes because it gave me an excuse to see if I needed sleep or just to mentally zone out to deal with something else that was on my mind, plus not taking notes meant I wouldn't be multitasking. And it also gave me an excuse just to be lazy in class too... which I was probably better at than most of my classmates. Studying for an exam for me literally consisted of sitting down, 24 hours before the test, listening to the 8 to 10 lectures that took place between the last exam and this one, and writing notes in Notepad for cramming. All the while, I would obviously be freaking myself out, studying the notes like mad, figuring out what they might and might not ask on the test, etc. It was rough.

I've come to accept my stupid sleep habb its as part of me, but I'd still like to find an effective way to fix them more or less permanently so they're more like those of most of the people I know. For a while I wasn't prepared to deal with them. I'm still not, but part of preparation is knowing it exists, which I do now. And so I guess it's here to stay.