Re: Identifying possible console audible indicators

I don't like the numbers idea proposed above, it makes you think outside the terms of the controller that you're playing on, Madden already has a ton of controls to get used to, and you don't need another layer of obfuscation making things harder for you. The fact of the matter is using TTS will be slower than just tones. I think tones could work given sufficient practice. My proposal is this, have a single click or short tone sound and position it using HRTF. We already know our controllers and our own way to find our way around them. I think of it as a baseball diamond where on Xbox B is first base, Y is 2nd, X is third and A is home plate. But, the fact is, each of us has found his or her own way to mentally map out the controls. So using HRTF to position the click or tone in the sound stage corresponding to its position on the diamond, I think that could work.

one issue I can think of is make the click audible above the rest of the game, I think a higher p itched short tone or click could do this, but not too high or you're libal to give people headaches, maybe around 800 to 900 Hz. for shoulder buttons, you could slightly alter the tone or click, or use a rumble inn either the left or right side to indicate this. A quick impulse rumble on the left or right could be LB or L1 on XB and PS4 respectively, and one on the right could be RB and R1. A double impulse quick rumble could indicate that you are meant to press LT or RT rather than the bumpers or L1 or R1.

I think a majority of people playing these games will be doing it either on headphones, if in private, or on the TV speakers if with  friends or family. Knowing this, I think a headphone-centric approach would be best. I think it would be challenging to play over the TV speakers. Maybe you could have a mode where these audio cues go over the headest if is is plugged into the controller, but the rest of the audio goes to the TV. I think this is possible with PS4, n o telling about XB. I am more familiar with PS4.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Joseph Westhouse via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : superblindman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : musicman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Sightless Kombat via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : DracoSelene89 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : DracoSelene89 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : musicman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Hektor via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ea_accessible via Audiogames-reflector