Re: I'm kind of concerned about the culture surrounding usability

@Joseph:

I have useful things to post and it may actually shed light on what I call the gaming snobs/assholes/idiots/elitists/etc. As I've said beore, I was involved with the original Project CARS, a mainstream racing simulator. Kep that genre in mind, it'll be important.

Nobody in the development process raised the question of accesibility beyond a driving/braking asssist that the 'hardcore' snobs turned their noses up at and asked why those were even in the sim to begin with, and when it was pointed out those were in to ease new people in, the response from the 'hardcore' crowd was basically, well, screw the new people.

Interestingly, one of the people arguing for assists was a disabled racing driver, who stated the sim needed to be acceissible, and I can't mention his name, but he drives in a one make series as of 2017, and he's a big gamer, but the 'hardcore' crowd basically had a shut the F up buddy, mentalit y and essentially ran him off the project for a while, and claimed that the racing sim gene didn't need to be accessible because real racing cars aren't disabled friendly.

To which, the disabled driver in question produced proof that disabled drivers were actually catered for in the rulebooks of several series, and showed that yes, there were disabled racing drivers. But still, that genre continues to be very hostile towards disabled racing gamers, I may dig out my old submission to a a forum if I ever find it listing my thoughts on making niche genres accessible to everybody.

Oh and one more thing on that front, several of the people screaming for less accesiblity had put thousands of dollars into the project, but the sim still shipped with assists in, though they were waatered down from what had oiginally been planned.

Now for the other bit of my post....

I think there's militant and aggressive people on both sides of the fence though and IMO developers don't want to deal with the hassle of it, I've heard disabism (as it's been called) equated to the antics of feminists in fighting for equality and frankly, that's a load of crap, I want equality but noot at the cost of crossing the line to get it. I'd rather have constructive discussions rather than fighting and bickering with people, and I do remember back in college, the fully blind kids (I had sight at the time) were acting very, very entitled and pushy and arrogant, as if they were somehow better...er...'better' than the kids with varying amounts of sight, and it was always over very, very petty stuff honestly,. I often wonder why various types of disabled people fight among each other then again, I'm not sure I want to know sometimes.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Locutus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : DracoSelene89 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Joseph Westhouse via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : DracoSelene89 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : DracoSelene89 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector