Re: I'm kind of concerned about the culture surrounding usability

I disagree with your evaluation of the utilitarian approach to the problem - by eliminating public services you then cause a huge gap, thus making blind people even less utilized than before, and costing society more through requiring families to support them or even forcing them to die alone. None of this actually benefits society when a wealth of untapped utility lies hidden underneath all these pepole, especially as our society's skills become more and more centered around technology.

I could see how someone uneducated on the matter could make that argument though, which is a major problem. doesn't help that people REEEEEEEEEE whenever they hear about utilitarianism because they think Peter Singer hates disabled people. (Yes, I actually contacted him to verify that his views are frequently misrepresented...)

JESUS FUCK. I can't believe a fucking UX designer said that. What an ignorant, arrogant retard. Do they not realize that blind gamers have been p laying fighting games for years now?

He's also completely wrong. A lot of it depends on how you integrate it. The indie community who's learned about my game is shitting bricks over it because it's a game about colors that can be played BLIND. I use the accessibility engine in sighted mode to explore dark areas. It's called "having an original idea".

Ah, so the NFB is pushy with their ideals. I can't really speak out on the whole guide dog thing but one of the major problems with a guide dog is it sticks out even more than a white cane, which is not often considered. Plus, dogs require a lot more upkeep than a cane or technology. Dogs may actually be replaced in my lifetime, I wouldn't be surprised.

Like I said, "Disability" in my opinion should be focused on the literal interpretation of the term "disability". I know plenty of blind folk who can function independently, but I still consider them "dis abled" less because of them but more because there are certain limitations on what they can do. Things like drawing are unimportant, but using an application is, so my whole philosophy is about reducing or eliminating disability through technology. So I would consider both of you disabled in the sense that you can't do some important things, but not in the sense that you aren't independent. Dependence is often implied by the term disability, which complicates the isuse.

The attitudes have only slightly changed because blind people are slightly more employable, but that "disability" that makes them less efficient I think is at least partially to blame for the social problem. Once this barrier is lifted I think blind people will be able to integrate easier.

While I keep myself out of politics, I think its fair to say that the government can be useful in some cases, such as enforcing building codes. However, like anything else, it's a tool, and it has a somewhat shotgun approach, so activists trying to change the law to do this or that are probably not helping anywhere near as much as the technology itself. If anything laws should be made to compliment accessibility but itself should not be addressed politically.

Eh, I don't really agree with "accessibility being the wrong idea" as long as its designed to equalize. For example disabled parking spots are there because the people have trouble walking usually and walking across a parking lot may be much more difficult for them than being closer. However I do think that a lot of the time it is abused, especially with this word policing nonsense.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : DracoSelene89 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : DracoSelene89 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : DracoSelene89 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Jaseoffire via Audiogames-reflector