Re: Braillemon status update!

Thanks for the detailed reply. I did actually fix the previously noted glitches last night so I will check out the things you pointed out today.

in reffrrence to the music glitch, if you walk out of the gym while the intro is playing, the rest of the song doesn't start; in fact no music plays until I go into a pokemart or senter or go back into the gym.

This is a fairly minor issue, it's just that the way the music works with loops it can be cumbersome. It's... very unappealing in terms of the way I have to set it up at least (using timers and all sorts of garbage). Don't get me wrong, I'll address it, it's just... eugh.

the end of turn report seems to turn on and off randomly.
I turned it off to see what it did in a wild battle, and when I enterd a trainer battle it was on again.
Later; in, say version 0.50 or something the end of turn r eport could be made to only report things that changed.
so for example, if my Pokemon's helth only went down in the last turn, I don't need to be told that it has 20 out of 20 hp in this turn, as I already know that from last turn's report. And, if I do forget, I can just check the status with the keystrokes.

The end of turn report toggles with the F10 key, I didn't write any documentation on it since it was a very small change and this isn't really a "full" release but rather a testing release. It could be possible that you were toggling it accidentally.

Since the information can be checked with the A and S keys though on both the Fight and Battle menus I will proably refrain from that, and have it as a sort of preference. I'll look into why the toggle is being turned on and off though since I didn't notice that before.

Also, the sounds for people and such can be a henderence sometimes.
With a lot of people and dorrs the sound field can get vary busy.
When you first enter a town it can help to know where things are.
But it would be nice to be able to; say, have the game point out just the pokemon center or something.

This is something I totally agree with. I think I'm gonna redesign the maps so that they are a little larger so that the sounds don't overlap and become distracting, at least in the case of objects.

I do have a function similar to what you're mentioning but I haven't updated it past Viridian City, since it's hard coded in there. I have been considering redoing the town maps because of the audio upgrade to be wider and this is why. I like your idea with north east though, I wrote some code that can draw a line from a point and I can grab a little bit of that to get the direction (or as my variables call it, the quadrant) and I probably could implement that fu nction fairly easily. After reading what you wrote, I was thinking about producing a menu after pressing something like the F key that allows you to choose the location of an important place, such as Pokemon Center/Gym/Special Attractions, then you can choose that location and locate it.

Adding this feature shouldn't be too difficult since I already have a similar function used with the "blocking the sound emitter" code.

Now that I've heard the music clearly, it sounds like you're using the recordings from the firered super complete soundtrack.
If you like, I can loop all of the songs from my .gbs file to remove the echoes.
I just wish you could feed .ogg files directly to gms because I'm making loops for Adventure at C for a stage I'm making and they all work perfectly as .ogg files.
If you like, I can send you a few samples so you can test them in your project.

The new audio format uses .ogg files. I coooould rip them but I'm just lazy I mean busy *coughs suspiciously*. In all honesty though getting the loops right is a ton of work and recording them from the gb files is also a lot of work, and if you have non-echoed versions that will be great (and I'll list you in the credits too). They're a pain in the ass to find because people think the echo version sounds better... or... something I don't know. Sighties can be really weird sometimes.

I import the files as Wav files via wavosaur since it's portable. I usually use 22050 Hz, 8-bit mono as my settings to try to cut down on loading times.

Using the recordings from the soundtrack could become a problem seeing as Nintendo is releasing the fireread super complete collection; that contains the gameboy originals; on itunes sometime this year; or, so they've reported.

This is true but I� 39;m mimicking Pokemon MMO's model except using the original music as opposed to the updated FR/LG music. I anticipate that since this project is mainly a personal project that targets an audience that for the most part does not collide with the people who would be purchasing this title it shouldn't be a huge problem. Legality is kind of a weird business which is why I'm making the main game free.

It should be made very clear that Braillemon is a pet project that I do in my spare time and while I devote a lot of time to it I do not produce it for any return in terms of finances or anything like that, and as such, it offers completely no competition with the mainstream Pokemon games, in a similar vein to Pokemon MMO. Pokemon MMO offers donations and bonuses from such things, and I plan to follow suit, as such things are used for server costs and implementation of other projects (the latter which will be my primary focus after Braillemon 1 is fully released).

< div class="quotebox">

you've provided documentation with most of your releases, but it might be good to include it on the game's main menu so all people can find out the controls.

This is a good idea, although I've considered it,  the reality is I have been putting it off if only to try to provide more content. I just thought of a good idea though. If on the main menu you press anything that isn't the directional keys or ENTER you could read all the current functions of the key, although the documentation would have to be written hard coded.

I plan on leaving a bit earlier from work today than the last few days so I plan to address some of these issues at least; the map sizes won't probably occur until the weekend though; at work I literally can't do anything yet since they haven't set me up but also because I have no way to update the project either, and I can only take notes and document, and plan for future fixes.

Good news: Save files are almost ready so expect them in the next big release (not these little patches)