Re: Dungeon crawls--how sad we don't have more of them

Dark wrote:

For me the real killer with a dungeon crawl is lack of description.
You can have the worlds most interesting and complex battle system, but if all you get for atmosphere is "you walk into a room, it has a goblin, the goblin has 30 hitpoints you fight, you attack the goblin using yoru sword and do 2 damage, the goblin blocks" etc, then I don't really see much point in continuing

I totally understand your point here. I just want to state that in my opinion the "worlds most interessting and complex battle system" would totally qualify for a really great game. I don't think you really need much more, provided the mechanics are really as great as that.
Think about this: Does your favourite board game has delicately carved figures, a complex background story and a cool sound track? Probably not. The fun part of it are the game mechanics. That can be quite the same with video games.

But I also think every little bit of atmosphere improves a game a lot, don't get me wrong with that. And I also love games with a compelling narrative structure. But I think especially the genre of dungeon crawlers mostly lives from its game play, not its dense atmosphere.