Re: Why Must People Crack Games

Ah, even better. He'd been warned/banned for dealing with cracks before. Slam dunk then.

So okay, I'm gonna clarify this one more time and then I'm bowing out unless something else important needs saying.

Any sort of piracy is illegal, in most cases. At the very, very best, it's morally grey. If you can accept this, move on.
There are cases where a person requires access to a software solution which they can't get any other way save piracy. I'm not going to stand up and congratulate people for cracking said software, but I do understand that sometimes, extenuating circumstances are at play. A screenreader, for instance, is pretty vital for most of us here, and some other programs are also pretty necessary. Sometimes, costs are prohibitive, or availability is severely limited, potentially necessitating other actions. My general stance is that it should be a risk-benefit analysis, plus an assessment of need. If your need (not want, need) is great, and if the overall harm to be done is low, then perhaps verging into this morally grey area is something which might be considered.

Here's the thing though. Games, whether of the audio or mainstream variety, should never, ever, ever tick these boxes. Games are wants. They're not needs. In the case of a mainstream game, the harm done is probably reasonably low, but there is still the fact that you are fulfilling a want, and not a need. For the audiogames community, however, the harm is potentially much, much greater. The damage to profit margins is exponentially larger with each purchase - I feel like I've said some of this before, btw - and as such, not only are you fulfilling a want, but your risk/benefit analysis should tell you that while you may not hurt yourself much, you might hurt the community a great deal.
If you read all of this and still think you have a right or even a duty to crack audio games, then this community is better off without you.

And let me be clear on something else, too. This community has the right to make whatever rules it wants. Your existence here is a privilege, not a right. If they outlawed the word "purple" for some reason, then you either deal with it or you leave. That would admittedly be a pretty silly thing to do, but outlawing the cracking of audio games makes a ton of sense, given the harm that behaviour does to the community.

In other words: you're here because you're being permitted to be here. To eliberately spit in the face of the rules is extremely disrespectful, and is why I suggested both JimmyDubb and Sito could've been banned. One of the two has been, thankfully. Now if we can just squash the rest of this...