Re: If there would be a way for getting your sight back, would you do it?

At Nocturnus, I didn't take your question as argumentative. It's a hard one to answer, though. In my heart of hearts, I wish I could say that it's ok to be good enough for my friends and loved ones, and screw the rest of 'em. But the world just doesn't work like that. There are politics no matter where you go, and, as you said, you have to do a lot of proving to others how capable you are. Sighted people don't usually make a point to question other sighted people's parenting skills, at least not directly. We've all heard the horror stories about Facebook groups and subreddits, but, since I'm not a parent myself, it wouldn't be right of me to estimate what, if any, psychological effect those kinds of things have. They may very well do that to parents with other forms of disabilities, too, but this is not a subject on which I'm well versed, so I'm steering clear of that angle. While some people embrace that challenge, and in fact pride themselves on being ambassadors for the blind, I have never had the desire to do that. As I said, if I were an average person, like so many of the people I've grown up around and lived with, and just had simple things like close friendships and a supportive and loving partner, I'd be satisfied with my life. Is it impossible for me to have these things as a blind person? Of course not, and if I implied that, I certainly didn't mean to. The problem is that you have to be bold and brave and forward, all things that I am not, in order to get those things. It seems that way, anyway, because that's how most of the blind people I know are.

As for the NFB thing, thankfully, I've only ever known one extremely militant person who was involved in the organization. He literally quoted The nature of Independence at me as though it was scripture. Thinking about it now, it was so over the top it makes me laugh, but it did disturb me for quite a bit after it happened. Because of that, I went through a long phase where I tried to convince people that the NFB was a cult, or at least displayed many cult-like tendencies. Looking back on it, I'm not exactly proud of how I acted back then. At the same time, it also taught me that I didn't want to get involved with any of the blindness advocacy groups.