Re: Creating an audio game using Sable (video 3), by Ebon Sky Studios

Hmm. It's interesting. It's just that, my experience with scriptless engines is that they don't tend to retain there usefulness for very long. Now keep in mind, I am making a distinction between no scripting required engines and scriptless engines. For example, game maker and RPG Maker are no scripting required engines, where as scriptless engines are like what you've proposed here. Actually, the main issue has been addressed, and maybe I'll be wrong when it releases, but no matter how much you add as far as triggers go, without at least a basic method of adding custom variables, and conditionals to test those variables, let alone most of the other stuff a scripting/extension/plugin system would support, it is solely on your shoulders to prolong the lifetime of your engine. This tends to make innovation rather difficult. As for things like resources, crafting, and what not straying from RPGs, well, not necessarily. In fact, adding mechanics onto a pre-existing formula is how genres stop from becoming stale. Now then, that being said, all things considered, this is a good start. Considering it's only a prototype at the moment, it's sounding promising. I just hope it gets expanded further. If it does, it would solve a major problem this community has been having for a very long time. Best of luck to you and your team.