Re: AppleScript and Game Development

I will not be drawn into the Apple debate here.  Suffice it to say that writing a nice, long blog post on the issue is on my to-do list.  I gave it a good three months.  I did not form my opinions second-hand, I formed them first-hand.  I also do not like Narrator, at least in Windows 7; I suspect that I will not like Narrator in Windows 8 when I upgrade.  I am not sure why my opinions about the Mac are relevant to this discussion.  The issue at hand is programming languages.  I said that Voiceover may or may not have a feature that you might need.  I also said that Window-eyes *might* have it.  I'm pretty sure Narrator won't in the near future.  Please enlighten me to why my opinions on the Mac even matter here.  If I thought they were relevant, I would have made sure to share them again.
C++ is about as far from cross-platform as you can get.  The core language and libraries are, but only if you know how to avoid microsoft-specific features and gcc-szpecific features at the same time.  The standard library only gives you basic stuff-print and read from console/files, some threading primitives, some nice data structures (the STL, once you grok it, is very nice), some time capabilities, and a couple other things.  If you want to actually make games with it, or do anything really, you've got to acquire or write libraries.  Outside the standard library, and assuming nothing else is installed, you've got the current platform's very platform-specific API.  To actually do something cross-platform, you need libraries that are cross-platform for the thing you want to do, and it all becomes pretty messy very quickly.  Even the standard library sometimes has platform-specific oddities, for example just about everything being a file on Linux and the inability to use printf/scanf on sockets in windows (but you shouldn't anyway).  Java is cross-pl atform, as long as you stick to the core library and don't bring anything else in; so too are most other JVM languages (Scala, Clojure, Jython, Groovy); C# but only with a subset of the Microsoft libraries; Python obviously; and, if you are only aiming at the blind market, HTML5/_javascript_/Aria where necessary (but that's a second class citizen in terms of a11y on IOS by all accounts and brings you into encounters with screen reader/browser differences).  most of those, with the exception of the HTML5 option, are personally rated higher than C++ for general app work and I have no concrete reason for not putting HTML5 up there with them.  Of those, Java (but not the JVM) and HTML5/Javascreipt/Aria are my least favorite.

  • Re: [Audio... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: camlorn
  • Re: [Audio... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: camlorn
  • Re: [Audio... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Guitarman
  • Re: [Audio... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: camlorn
  • Re: [Audio... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: ianr
  • Re: [Audio... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: ianr
  • Re: [Audio... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: camlorn
  • Re: [Audio... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: king gamer222