Re: Monthly chat March 2019

@Simba, that is odd, since I did think there were audiobooks of at least some of the valdemar series available.
The first trilogy has its issues (check my aforementioned reviews), but they get better as they go along, and the companions are pretty cool, especially when  start treating them like horses.

though it isn't exactly horse orientated, you should also check out the farseer books by Robbin Hobb, since magic to communicate with animals and form a bond with them plays a massive part in the world, and one of the main characters is the castle stable master.
Beware, these are pretty grim, and where Mercedes lackey's stuff tends to be on the fluffier side, Hobb goes almost too far the other way, actually in her own way she tends to be as much as a sadist as George R R Martin where her characters are concerned, just when you think something is going to go well bang!

I can say though the magic with animals is wonderfully described, Night eyes, the main character's bonded wolf is a major character, and there are lots of other animals throughout the series.
The third trilogy also  probably the most memorable crow in literature big_smile.

The acting workshop was fun, I've got a vocal studdies weekend coming in a couple of weeks so I had a singing lesson and was preparing music. my voice is not doing well at the moment, since its damnably difficult to actually motivate  yourself to practice when your just not getting any chances to actually perform, but I am having a go at fagin's song, Reviewing the situation from Oliver, which should be fun, as well as a glorigous balad, a bit of earth from the secret garden (a sadly under appreciated musical).

I don't know about animal care games myself, a lot of the ones I've seen tend  reduce your animal to a set of stats, where as I'd prefer a game hwich actually gave your animals a degree of personality.
This wouldn't be difficult in itself, just give people a few choices on different activities and have animals stats  in a bit more complex way, EG if you choose the wrong brush when grooming a horse the horses  dissatisfaction increases, however if you then praise the horse, the level of the horses dissatisfaction with said new brush might grow less, or it might not and you could have to switch to something else.

Thus far though all of the animal care games I've seen have been a strictly incremental increase level that basically just require the player to repeat actions and minimax, rather than to adapt to changing  and your animal's quirks as would be more required in reality.

Damn! sometimes I almost think I should teach myself programming just to have a bash at making these sorts of things big_smile.

#Speaking of incremental games though, trimps is still a lot of fun, indeed its a bit too addictive since I do need to get some writing done today as well as phone the annoying solicitors who will hopefully help with my lady's visa.