Re: Mortal Kombat 11

Found first impressions from a fighting game reviewer who is probably the most blunt and critical about fighting games that I know of, and I think these impressions sum up my own thoughts very nicely.

Over the years, NRS has stuck with the successful formula they introduced in MK9 (2011). This basic recipe even transferred to NRS's Injustice series, evolving significantly with each installment. While diehard NRS fans already pre-ordered MK11 twice over, other FG players might be hoping NRS changes up the typical "cookie cutter" gameplay mechanics... which, quite honestly, haven't delivered the lasting appeal at a competitive level that other fighting games of this generation have experienced.  For example, Injustice 2 had a huge drop in players only 6 months after its release (and only made 1 quiet appearance at EVO). With MK11 already matching that, and MK11 looking a lot better than INJ2, the future should be looking up for Mortal Kombat in esports.

As any real fighting game player knows... it's gameplay that matters most, and what makes a fighting game worth playing for years, not mainstream name recognition, story modes, shock-value (gore in this case), or in-game cinematics. All that fluff is nice for the casual audience (who usually quits supporting a fighting game after a few short months), but players like those are not who have kept fighting games alive all these years. Of course, there's still something to be appreciated about NRS's ultra-polished single-player content: immersive story modes, unique character-to-character dialogue, and unprecedented elements in terms of presentation. Take it to the bank, this game will sell.

2019 EARLY IMPRESSIONS: After watching the latest gameplay, I think it's safe to say NRS is putting a ton of polish into this game. But what aspects of the game are truly getting the most polish? Character models and backgrounds look amazingly realistic... Next gen stuff! Camera angles and special effects are looking spot on. While I was "wowed" by the spectacular win poses, Fatality animations, and disturbing new levels of violence and gore... I have to say that the actual gameplay seems... slow and simple.  Remember how we talked about gameplay being important? A return to basics is a fine idea, but many fighting game players won't really want to go back to Algebra 1 when they've been enjoying Calculus for years. If MK11 isn't actually fun or complex enough, it could have a short-lived competitive scene.

Movement speed and combos look very simple, with easy inputs across the board -  something that could be viewed as both good and bad. An "easily accessible" fighting game is a good thing for the casual audience, but being able to "master a character in 1 day" doesn't help the competitive longevity of a fighting game either. MK11's new Offensive / Defensive meters look interesting, but the idea is questionable... and remind me of some (failed) mechanics from past obscure fighting games in the 90's. In short, I hope NRS actually designed MK11 to be a fun game to  play (not just to watch). At the reveal event, when Ed Boon himself started talking to the crowd about actual gameplay, he used the term "geeky" to describe the act of talking about gameplay mechanics... Red flag?

Thankfully, NRS seems to have taken fan criticism about "animation quality" and made some solid changes since MKX. MK11's animation seems significantly improved over MKX's in some areas, while other things still look a bit wonky (like jumping). The core fighting animation is a very important part of any fighting game, so hopefully MK11 will be a solid step up from the last few prequels.

Regarding the "gore factor"... it's a bit much... but it's definitely Mortal Kombat. I'm not the squeamish type, but I'm not a fan of horror movie gimmicks either. The things I love most about fighting games are complex gameplay systems designed around competition (and longevity), unique character designs, artwork, martial arts, music, and many other elements. (The same way I enjoy my favorite movies and TV shows - for actual plot & storytelling, character development, artistic value, and substance.) In short, I'm not the "easily entertained" type. In recent times, Mortal Kombat as a series steered itself in a direction geared more towards Hollywood movie cliches (shut up Johnny Cage), gore fetishists, and typical horror fare. Watching "virtual murders" repeatedly play out on screen in a video game isn't usually my cup of tea... but I'm definitely going to give MK11 a fair shake.

Of course, I'll reserve my final judgment for after I spend some quality time with MK11.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : hadi . gsf via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : hadi . gsf via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : hadi . gsf via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : devinprater via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : hadi . gsf via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arturminyazev via Audiogames-reflector