Re: Training Centers

In terms of notetakers and programming, no, no, no.  I can maybe see a braille display, though. don't go for a Notetaker, go for a braille display if you really want it.   I am referring to programming only, though it is worth finding out that the new Macbooks apparently have 18 hour battery life, so that's that argument gone.  Also, if you practice, you can in fact do screen reader and music at the same time-I do it, but only with headphones.  My opinion is that, ideally, your job should be engaging/difficult enough that you don't want to listen to music.  In terms of the real world, your employer who might hire you to program for $75000/year will not be happy to see you programming on a PACMate and transferring files; you probably won't even make it through the job interview.
As for the job as productivity, well, that's true.  I'd be fine personally with some other path, but that path has to involve at least s ome money.  I do not want to spend my life at home on SSI; I am assuming that CAE doesn't either.  Personally, I want a career at a university.
You probably qualify for paratransit services.  The application can be difficult, depending, but I qualified no questions asked, and I've got fully developed mobility skills and a guide dog.
Dark, it's good to have a passion.  For most of us, however, required motivation does not grow linearly with travel time.
I do think that the training programs are very over the top on the needless skills.  Woodworking? Meals for 10? No.  I understand why they do it: confidence is part of it, but also allowing a blind person to have normal life experiences that they wouldn't otherwise get.  I highly, highly doubt that most of them can lead to a job, however-we are way, way, way past the age of hand assembly, and the number of families who need a blind person to come make a meal for 10 every night are rare indeed (on a sidenote, I may know a way that blind people can use 3d printers right now; it's too bad that this won't lead to a job either).