Re: Training Centers

@dark and everyone else, I know completely what you mean about the ridiculously rigid mobility instructors. The one from my state school I mentioned is a pretty good example, at one point she pretty much demanded that I hold my cane in my left hand which I rarely do (I refused and she backed off,) so that I could feel a wall with my other as I walked, if I'd simply been told how the wall curved it wouldn't have been necessary to feel it at all, and again once I found out on my own there was no issue. And god, step counting! really! Anyway, I do okay with memorized directions, but when walking long distances my mind tends to wander some, as in I can't constantly think about how I'm walking, where turns are, terrain texture etc. I wish I would pay more attention to such things, but don't know if I'd do any better if I did. The town I live in thrives on tourism, so it is pretty easy for any sighted person to sometimes even get a long-term job fast; from what I've heard my sister who is sighted, basically just decided she wanted a job one day, and a day or two later she had it, and is still working there a year and a half or so later. Having a job is a thing around here, almost every teenager from my school I talk to or friend on facebook has a job, so it can get pretty depressing. As for why I'd need money, for one I'd like a phone if I could easily afford it, even though hardly anyone talks to me they can still be quite handy, the blindsquare thing being just one example. Also it'd be nice to get some hardware upgrades, most of my equipment is secondhand and my desktop I built in 2010 could use a bit more RAM, though for the most part it runs extremely well. Buses in the US are indeed very unpredictable, most of the ones I've encountered in large metro areas around here speak, but I guess it must be poorly maintained or very outdated, because about a quarter of the time the system doesn't work. I hate asking drivers about stops, because A) my hearing loss I mentioned earlier can make it difficult to separate his/her voice from the engine noise and chatter, which can be pretty loud and especially if I'm at the back, and b) it takes long enough to do the ticket/cash routine and finding a seat, talking to the driver prolongs it even further, and I don't like holding people up, and all that's assuming the driver even bothers to call out the stop. Over the top skills are something I saw a lot of at that program I mentioned, example it was required that you cook a "full meal" to their specs at least once a week with a main, a side etc. Wanting people to learn to cook is understandable, but the kitchen was huge and almost always very crowded with people walking around, so I think it was a bit unfair to have people comment on your performance when you're constantly being hindered by other people. I get that cooking and eating actual meals is good, but I 9;m not going to put aside convenience on someone's whim, and I'm 17, and will probably be eating a lot of processed crap if I end up going to college or getting an apartment before I have a decent income. At the job I was working for that program I could listen to music and books most of the time, which was a nice compensation for being so mind-numbing. I hate talking to people I don't know, and really wouldn't want to have my ears start acting up when some short-tempered person is on the other end, so a call center is out of the question, that is if I can avoid it. It'd be pretty awesome if notetakers had python or at least a basic c compiler, I have a hard time holding long strings from audio in my head, so I end up having to slow speech considerable and right and left arrow around, and damn all those people making noise! I can connect my BrailleNote to my laptop using a USB to serial adapter and an extremely long serial cable, which combined with earphon es and chargers would turn into a huge tangle wherever I was, probably at some inconvenient time where I needed to stand up and get my shit together fast. Sorry for all my disjointed run-together rambling, it's late over here.