Re: moving from I O S

Sadly, it's not a great time to switch to Android. Samsung is doing some things, but not enough. Voice assistant came out with Galaxy S6, Galaxy Talkback back then which was for me a better name, but if that was the only problem I'd be happy. Ever since then, VA received very minor updates, the only big one adding keyboard shortcuts, the rest was pretty much adding features from Talkback. Even if samsung does something amazing with it, it just wont come close to the productivity iOS offers, language switching being just one example. Ever since switching to iOS, I never want to go back to the design where in an app let's say you have a list of items, and as you swipe through them you also have to swipe through possible actions for that item for example like, dislike, comment and so on on FB when all of these can just be custom actions and you access them when you need to. There is of course stuff Android does better. I really don't like how Apple does explore by touch for example, where if you are trying to find a small item on the screen, as soon as your finger moves out of it's reach, even if nothing else is there VO wont announce the item. If there are 2 things Android does better, it's explore by touch and recently, from Android 8 and up, accessibility volume. I wish VO had a separate volume. Overall though, many apps, including the ones from Google work way better on iOS with a screen reader. Want an example? In the Youtube app, when an add is displayed, the iOS app nicely gives you feedback when the skip add button becomes available, which Android app does not. Of course, they apply the same, awesome principle with custom actions, alright maybe even Youtube is not the best example of that since they over do it at places, but it still works very nicely. The last thing I'll mention is TalkBack's general lag. Now I have been told this is better on Pixel devices, but have never used those. If you browse the web a lot, access large lists, you will notice that VO is much more responsive than TB. Commentary, on the other hand has very good performance, but that too lacks in some areas, however if that screen reader continues improving it can become a very solid replacement. All this comes from an Android fan for more than 5 years, but I don't regret trying iOS out, mostly for performance and productivity.