Re: Discussion about movement in mainstream games

The rooftop on map2, and the balcony in the Factory, and the multi-tiered factory on sub3, are all 2d, cleverly arranged to give the illusion of 3d. These actually predate the feature that masks your coordinates when you press enter to climb things, which Aprone added because people wanted that extra layer to make the faux-3d more believable.
What makes this weird from the perspective of visuals is that you're usually faking depth, rather than height, and that you can't have this sort of first person perspective with such faux-3d without adding graphics tricks that effectively make it 3d. So were Swamp an FPS, it'd be considered 3d, but since only the audio is first person, the height illusions are, imo, more analogous to the illusions that games like Golden Axe and Spider-man and Venom: Maximum Carnage use.
(And I really just want to stop and figure out how Maximum Carnage does it. Does it ever mix styles for multi-tiered environments, or are all the skyscraper climbs with single-tile ledges? I really wish I had the attention span to try and recreate these things. I suppose it's not too complicated. It's just neat how much mileage one can get from such simple tricks (and how few games that try to push it I've actually played).)