Re: Gaging interest in a space MMO like death match a new beginning

In terms of navigation, I'd love to see something in the style of new horizons where you can freely move and turn your ship. You'd be able to move in 3d, so your normal north/south and east/west directions but you could also move up and down (we'll just gloss over the fact that such terms are pretty trivial where space is concerned). But I don't think it'd be too bad if you made your system 2d instead of 3d to make it a bit more simplistic and reduce the number crunching when flying with auto pilot. New horizons does without the third dimension after all. I'd imagine that w and s would let you speed up and down while a and d turn you. The up and down arrows would add a vertical heading to your direction so you could decide how fast you want to ascend or descend as you move. While piloting like this, you could press enter or some other key like that to open a nav console that would let you set auto pilot destinations and stuff like that. How much you could do in that one menu would depend on how you want your ships to work, if its a small ship for one person you'd be able to do most things here like scanning, mining and the like, while on larger ships you'd need other players to do things like manage weapons or repair.
A leveling system as suggested in post 2 would work, though I don't think it should be as restrictive as in cr. I like the sc approach, where most activities can be done pretty early but they all have progression within the activity itself, e.G. you don't have to do asteroid mining in sc at all, but no matter if you have 10 points or 1000, you always have to start by mining small ones, then you can begin to buy upgrades and mining licenses to get larger ones. Or in core exiles you can only explore medium size and large derelicts after you've spent some time exploring small ones and gaining the required exploration xp to reach the needed rank. That's how I prefer activities to work here, as well.
About bomming planets, we shouldn't even talk about stuff like that before we know how the most basic of basics work, it's cool to focus on the explosions I know but getting the core mechanics right is by far the most important thing to do first.