Re: Corona Virus: is it the beginning of the end?

Okay several things here.
Firstly, the Spanish Flue epidemic happened at a vastly different time and culture when a lot in society and in medicine was different. For example, no modern antibiotics (penicillin wasn't discovered until 1928), as well as fewer modern vaccines, heck even flush toilets were not universally available. There is also a little thing called the first world war that had just finished, meaning firstly that a lot of people had pretty crappy resistance anyway, and secondly, that there was a hell of a lot more mixing of populations around the world than normal. So, any direct comparisons probably aren't helpful, neither is trying to decide if Corona virus is or is not worse than the Spanish flue.

On the other hand, the Spanish flue does tell us that yes, large populations can fall prey to a virus pretty damn quickly, which means complacent attitudes about Corona probably won't help anybody at all, so yes, irritating as it sounds, social distancing probably will and should go on.

As regards other points. Personally, the UK government have told everyone on the at risk list to expect 3 months in, that is pretty much what my lady and I are looking at. No, it's not a good thing, and Turtlepower is doubtless right that it will cause problems for people's mental health, however, if the alternative is increasing spreading the virus and being a danger to yourself and others, then personally I'm quite content with viewing social distancing as something which just needs doing.

One thing I will say, is it always pays to maintain  courtesy, for example, last night my lady and I ordered a take away (from a place who practice contactless packing of food), and we left cash for the driver outside the door and asked them to pick the cash up (their card processing machine was broken).

The driver came, dropped the food, banged on the door, picked up the cash and went. we then rang the place back to say thank you. We'd normally thank the driver in person, but with my lady on the at risk list, we're just plane not taking chances.

This is the sort of thing I mean, just because one has to stay at a physical distance from others, doesn't translate into turning into a paranoid arsehole, especially in a world of online mass communication.

As regards countries and responses, what Jaiden describes as happening in the Caribbean, is what's already going on in Britain, everything bar food shops and other essential services closed, limited numbers allowed inside, gatherings of more than two people prohibited, and as many measures as can be taken, being taken, indeed the NHS have just developed a new ventilation system for patients which they're rolling out at the moment.

No, All of this isn't a reason to panic or expect everything to turn into mad max over night, however being calm and taking precautions for as long as it takes will go a long way.

Actually, the rather ironic thing, is that my lady and I are pretty much okay. Food shopping is a bit of a pest, but honestly, one advantage of being a pair of introverts more than happy with each other's company who have completely failed to make friends in our local area, is that social distancing is really easy. Yes, it'd be nice to be either closer to the friends we do have, or have more things to get out and actually doo, but at the moment it just makes coping even easier.

of course, I realise that I have been amazingly luck yin whom I'm married to, especially in terms of the fact that we really are! just happy with each other's company and rarely if ever disagree, let alone argue, and that we have no dependants to worry about accept our dogs, indeede that's one reason I'd like to see aobut the NHS volunteer ap, assuming it's accessible, since provided I can do it from the comfort of my living room, I'd like to do what I can.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : leibylucw via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : leibylucw via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : leibylucw via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : leibylucw via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : aryamansingh via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : aryamansingh via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : leibylucw via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : leibylucw via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : derekedit via Audiogames-reflector