Re: My developer problem

I definitely think #4 is giving good advice. That's the kind of thing I wanted to write after reading your post.

When I approach a problem I first want to make sure I have it well defined. I havent made a game yet (at least not one I published anyhow), but the approach should be the same as the one that I apply in my software engineering dayjob. In your case make sure to write down the game mechanics you want in your game in natural language. Don't worry, this isn't a final spec. You can change it anytime, but it is invaluable to have as it can act as a guide for what you need to implement next.

Next you will want to think about what sort of artifacts you will have to produce to implement all the features you want. If you are going object oriented route then thinking about the classes and the fields and methods they will have is useful. If you are doing more of a functional style then thinking of your data types and functions  is good.

When I start writing any source code, I first sketch out the skeleton . Just write down the definitions of your classes, functions, data types or whatever witout filling in the implementations. for function bodies just put in a place holder. In python just put in a pass, in Java you can just "throw new RuntimeException("not implemented");", in Scala you can put in "???", or in any case you can just return a default type like if return type of function is int then return 0. Benefit of this is for statically typed languages it will let you  compile your skeleton code and make sure that at least the skeleton is well-defined.

After you have your skeleton, then you can just make a list of things you have to do. Don't be afraid to make this pretty granular. And then you can just start working on them one by one.

Try to make your tasks so that at the end of each task your code compiles successfully. So you can have some level of confidence in that what you just coded probably works. An even better extension of this process is test-driven development, but if you are just starting out on your development journey then don't worry about it yet.

Also it's a really good idea to start using git to manage your code changes. Starting out is really easy and it will save you tons of headaches down the  line. Make sure to commit after you complete any task on your list.

And as the others said, programming is challenging and not really for everyone. it is for those who love it. But then again that is basically  true about everything in life worth doing. And anything challenging is much less challenging after you split the problem into smaller discrete pieces and work on them one by one! In software engineering we commonly refer to this as the divide and conquer approach wink

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ashleygrobler04 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ambro86 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ambro86 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Ty via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : gonzalez via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Dragonlee via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : rory-games via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Gaki_shonen via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Gaki_shonen via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : rory-games via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : thetechguy via Audiogames-reflector