Sudden, temporary unexplained hearing loss

Hi, folks,

So I thought I'd turn here first to see if any of you have experienced this, because I never have.

Over the last couple of days, I've been having a peculiar thing happen. When I wake up, whichever ear was facing downward, toward the pillow, has a mild hearing loss for anywhere from ten minutes to an hour. It has happened once with each ear, and always goes away, but I find this really peculiar and kind of scary.

The headphones I'm using form a tight seal over my ear, but they're old and I don't remember experiencing this problem before. The inside edging on the earcups, a leatherette material, is starting to crumble noticeably. It's been particularly hot the last few days and I've been taking more cold showers than hot ones to compensate, as I don't do particularly well in the heat.

Needless to say, this is alarming, as I've never had this happen. There's no pain or tingling, no fluttering sensations, no vertigo. Each time it happens, the affected ear feels a little full, but I've never managed to get anything out of it. I don't know if I've managed to get a wax build-up, or if something bigger is wrong, but wanted to know if any of you folks ever have this, and if I'm concerned over nothing.