Re: Sudden, temporary unexplained hearing loss

Had almost this exact same thing happen almost a month ago. I was in lockdown at my girlfriend's for an extended amount of time, and was using over-the-ear headphones more extensively than I generally do. My left ear, the side I slept on, routinely sounded quieter in the mornings. Eventually I lost most hearing in the ear. I could faintly hear sound on that side, so figured it was blockage, but started to panic anyway and called a doctor. I figure the suction of the headset, me sleeping on my side, and the increased allergens at my girlfriend's apartment (she lives under a few oaks that drip their pollen everywhere) contributed.

Getting it out was fairly easy and painless. They irrigated, meaning they shot a jet of warm water in and broke things up. Not nearly as traumatic as it sounded except, of course, for my own panic about losing my hearing all of a sudden. I'd also had this happen before, so I kind of knew what to expect and do, but it was scary nonetheless.

If you can get to a pharmacy, definitely get an ear irrigation/cleaning kit. They're like $5 or so, and make the cleaning process easy for us. Get one with hydrogen peroxide. I actually tried two different kits before going to the doctor. We sent my girlfriend's attendant out to get the first, but it didn't have peroxide, so I got a lift back home and picked up one I had there that did. Maybe I wouldn't have needed the doctor's visit if I had taken care of it earlier, and if I'd used the peroxide before the non-peroxide blend.

Anyhow, I'm not a doctor and this isn't medical advice, yaddayadda. I imagine it's scary, but it really does sound like wax build-up on the side you're sleeping on, and it probably goes away when your center of gravity shifts in the morning. But probably best to take care of it before it gets worse, and definitely don't heed the temptation to poke it with a cue tip. smile

    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ertay via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Boo15mario via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Lucas1853 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Ty via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : swigjr23 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : mikes0916 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : swigjr23 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : black_mana via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector