Re: Corona Virus: is it the beginning of the end?

Swigjr23, I'm sure that if I went digging, I could find a law that supports racism, if not directly than indirectly. I am absolutely certain of this. I can find laws in Canada that do the same.
No, there are no more laws that are blatantly racist anymore. You don't see segregation the way you did in the 1960s, for instance, and thank goodness for that. But systemic racism still exists, and the way that laws are interpreted still lends itself well to racism. I'll give you one example of this (not the law itself, but cases involving law) which should demonstrate what I'm talking about.
A black woman lied about her address so that her child could go to a better school. When she was caught, she was sentenced to five years in prison.
A white woman bribed someone in order to help her daughter get a higher SAT score. She received a fine, and six months of jail time.
This happens all the time, all over, and it isn't just race. Racism is still used in the judicial system to really throw the book at non-whites, at non-males, though again, we're working on it. But okay. Let's actually assume that no overtly racist laws exist anymore.

However, that was never my point.

My point is that regardless of the laws your country has, a whole crapton of its citizenry are still part of institutional or systemic racism. When a white woman calls the police and baldly lies to them about a black man because he had the temerity to tell her that she should leash her dog, that's racism. When a girl who falls asleep on a university couch has the police called on her because someone questioned whether she should be there (note: she was a student at that university), that's racism. When someone shoots a black man while he's jogging because he's wearing the wrong clothes, that's racism. When a white cop kneels on the back and neck of a black suspect while he pleads for his life, and won't move even when pleaded with to do so by bystanders, that's racism. Do you really think these things would happen to white people because they're white? No? I didn't think so either.