Re: I have a deep desire to build higher quality games for blind people.

Oops, I opened a massive can of worms without meaning to. Let me see if I can go back and clarify what I was trying to say.

SLJ wrote that for a high quality game, you, "Have", to pay. The key word there is have. I disagree with that. I think high quality games, on par with mainstream games, and remember, I was saying that blind people do play them sometimes, "can," be created for free. Not that they should, but that they can if someone has the time and money they're willing to donate. This is not the case for everyone, and doesn't need to be the case for everyone. We live in a world where money is important. Some have it, some don't. Some, like the japanese game developers, used the time they had as a kid dependant on their parents, to make a bunch of free games that they possibly wish they had attached price tags to later on in life. Quality games absolutely can be free, but we should not expect that they will in any way.

GameDev, i f you make a game of lower quality, on par with or better than the japanese games for example, you have every right to charge whatever you think is fair for that game, and odds are you'll sell some copies. I'd buy the game if it were my type of game and I had the money. But in no way do I think that quality games are absolutely dependant on either making or spending tons of money. They can be, the vast majority of games out there are, but it is not a binary thing: money does not equal quality, free does not equal crap. That's all I was trying  to say. Yes, it's very likely that a game that has had $50000 poured into it will be better than the hobbiest game a kid made for free on their summer vacation. But theoretically, someone with enough money could spend that much money on making a game and still make it free, or even acquire the gear to make their own sound effects if they were good enough, which is what a lot of the japanese game devs did. There's also more to quality than good sounds and music. I'd play a game with atari sounds if it had a quality plot any day over a game with $50000 worth of sounds and music but very little in the way of satisfying storyline. Again though, and I can't stress this enough, not every game, especially not every quality game, should be free, just because it could be.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arqmeister via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : GameDev via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : GameDev via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : GameDev via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : themadviolinist via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : bladestorm360 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Phil via Audiogames-reflector