Re: Shades of Doom Version 2.0 Public Beta Released

Well I'm coming to this one a little late, and I do confess I've not read all 50 odd posts. I also confess I'm waiting until I get back to my desktop at my flat tomorrow before I buy the upgrade, although buy it I will if nothing else to support Gma.

On  upgrading vs new features, Generally I agree with welshweyr, though obviously I'll need to hear the improved sounds for myself before making up my mind (actually sinse I recently bought some  more uba sanheisa headphones I'm quite looking  forward to it).

On the one hand,    yes I was  expecting an upgrade similar in scope to Toc 2.0, with new levels, monsters, maybe a level editer etc and I confess I am a trifle disappointed that but for some new sounds and mouse control I'm not getting much in the upgrade.

On the other hand, this was entirely my own expectation, not born out by anything David  said, and David is notoriously closed on his develo pment plans (and iif I may say so the negativity of some members of the community possibly justifies that).

In  software terms version numbers are only an indicator.  For example  the upgrade from supernova 13-4.5 to supernova 13-5.0 wasn't half as big a leap in terms of noticeable user effects as the upgrade from 13-5.1 to 13-5.3, as the changes between the 4 and 5 series while major enough to warrent a  more complete  number change were not noticeable to the user.

I think often with games it is possible to conffuse a new version with an actual sequel. This is why in the Smugglers series when the changelog for smugglers 4.5 became so extensive it completely reworked the game we got Smugglers 5 instead.  Maybe we all wanted to see Shades of Doom 2,when in effect what we've got is shades of doom version 2.0.

Should david charge for the game? Well on the basis that he probably had to go and collect or reccord new sounds and spent a lot of time on the coding of it, probably yes. On the basis that he hasn't given us the bags of new features we wanted, possibly not. The half way house here seems to be charging a minimal upgrade fee, which with his 5 usd upgrade offer is in effect what David has done. I do think he could've  asked more than he did for the Toc upgrade given the extensive number of new features in the game.

So, yes, disappointing, but probably not worth the negativity.

I will also remind people that one of the other purposes of Shades of doom 2.0 was working out the Gma engine. This is not only news for Phil and the Sarah upgrade, but also for any future titles from Gma games, and with David's propensity for staying quiet about developments I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Shades of doom 2,  or some other entirely new title with the Gma engine were around the corner.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : crashmaster via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : criticview via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : cw via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : assault_freak via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : crashmaster via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : welshweyr via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : jaybird via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : robjoy via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : cw via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Exodus via Audiogames-reflector