Re: Creating a code free RPG using Sable(video 14), by Ebon Sky Studios

Hi everyone,

Pleased to hear everyone liked the sound of the new additions. As mentioned some of these were as a direct result of feedback received during the public Alpha, the new features definitely add the possibility for some interesting game mechanics. It’s also really good to hear so many people are excited about Crimson Eclipse too, I’m really looking forward to that myself  as I’ve seen all the work the game design team and our sound designer are putting into that. I’ll answer a couple of the questions which have come in.
@pates, as SLJ mentioned , with the public and private alpha testing now closed our full focus as mentioned yesterday is shifting over to our game Crimson eclipse. A common problem with development is feature creep, where you get caught up adding so many features nothing ever gets released, which is something we don’t want to fall pray to here at Ebon Sky Studios. Once Crimson Eclipse has been released and people have seen first-hand what Sable is capable of and we have a polished more complete beta version of sable that’s when we would be looking for feedback on additional features. What I would say though just to answer your question, you could do what you had  asked for using the quest system already built into Sable, you could create the iron ore as a quest completion key and when you return it to the NPC he would give you the iron sword in exchange. it may not be exactly what you were after,, but I think would have the same results.
@Juliantheaudiogamer, I know what you mean about creativity, I actually attempted to write my own Audio game RPG long before Sable or Ebon Sky Studios was a thing, I built a lot of the coding framework , but when it came to storyline and the creative writing side of it I found out I wasn’t so good at that side of it  smile. Ebon Sky studios was formed sometime after that when I met up with a fellow gamer  with a similar passion for RPGs (we’d both played many of the same main stream RPG titles when we were younger),  although he doesn’t code  it turned out he was an excellent writer with a ton of really interesting game ideas. We decided to pull our resources and that’s how Ebon Sky Studios came about. so although personally I’m not very creative, with Sable I can happily work away on what I enjoy doing which is code, whilst the game design team work on the creative side of everything like game design, scripts, storyline , mechanics stats etc. we actually now have two game designers plus a professional sound designer too, which are all part of the Ebon Sky Studios team and busily working away on Crimson Eclipse. it’s a nice set up since although we all work closely together, we can all focus on our own areas and what we enjoy doing the most, having everyone playing to their own strengths.  Similarly, This is one of  the other reasons we built Sable, since I believe we  have a ton of really talented individuals within the audio games community, but not everyone can code, hopefully Sable gives those people the tools to turn their creative ideas into stories we can all play and enjoy. I appreciate that was a really long answer to a question you technically didn’t ask smile, but since you mentioned creativity it made me think of this, plus , I thought you and others might be interested in how Ebon sky Studios came about and some more about the rest of the team. Regarding your question about Sable itself, as Gamulation mentioned the current version of Sable is written in BGT, it’s important to remember though this version is just a prototype. If Sable is successful the plan would be to rewrite Sable in a full programming language to offer more flexibility and futureproof the engine. That’s a long way off though as first we have to release Crimson Eclipse and then release a full official complete version of the current prototype Sable, to find out if a set of development tools like Sable is something the community is interested in and wants.

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios
email: i...@ebonskystudios.com
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/ebonskystudios/
Twitter: @ebonskystudios

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pates via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Gamulation via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pates via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Juliantheaudiogamer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Gamulation via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lemm via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pates via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : seb2314 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Wilson via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Wilson via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : PatrykK via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pates via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Ty via Audiogames-reflector