Re: Earwax

one important thing to say though is that I am very biased, since my day job is writing code. give me some task, like to tel yu what the weather is and I will start looking for some API I can use to automate it.

put another way, I am a carpenter with the hammer as my primary tool and all problems look like nails to me.

Although 99% of audiogame budgets don't allow for it, I think ideally the main programmer and main map/level designer in a game project are two seperate people.

There is so much that goes into designing a good level. I remember playing team fortress 2 a ton when I had sight and there is a cool level you can load up where you just walk around one of the game maps and there are little speech bubbles hovering in the air you can activate and you get a little monologue from one of the level designers explaining the thought process that went behind something in the scene.

my 14 year old brain was blown away by how they considered such visual aspects as the shape of various objects in the scene, so that when you first ran into a room you would be automatically visually drawn to the point to capture, the cart to push, etc.

map designing requires a different mindset to programming. And so the tools might need to be different as well.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : pauliyobo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Dragonlee via Audiogames-reflector