Re: Earwax

@19
What piece is missing?

@19
I'd be lying if I said I understand your whole post. I'm going to read over it a few times to fully grasp the stuff you're on about (I've never heard of Cassowary for example), and I also think there is a big part of this that involves me analysing my own feelings.

My instant response is "but a tile editor lets everyone make games and a solution that involves code raises the entry requirements in a way I'm not entirely comfortable with". I do stand by that, and my eventual solution was always going to be a rudimentary compiler of sorts: It'll take the objects created by the tile editor and turn them into code. In fact the whole of Earwax's building systems will work like that.

You'll make your game and levels ETC, then the `build` command will turn them into:

from earwax import Game, GameLevel

game = Game()
level_1 = GameLevel('Forest', game, id='asdf;lkj')
#...

levels = {
    'asdf;lkj': level_1,
    #...
}

So there'll be no runtime parsing of anything. You'll just end up with a probably ugly - but hopefully working - python file you can run with `python game.py`.

Also eventually a `compile` command that'll build, then run pyinstaller and pass it all the assets from the sounds folder ETC.

Anyways, I'm digressing.

I'll have a bash at your solution, if you don't mind me pinching the premise (crediting you of course)? I'll see how far I get, and hopefully by the time you want to create your MMO, most of the building system will be already written.

What do you think of the idea of your Box class et al being put into a separate Python package? Maybe I'm not thinking through this enough, but it would seem if it's a system we both intend to use, it would be silly to write separate implementations. Plus, that gives you the advantage that - way down the line - people could use Earwax to build local versions of maps they chuck to your MMO for inclusion.

With ambiances, do you have a suggested solution? I mean it would seem to be a problematic one, because the ambiance will have to either emit from all 4 corners of the box (might cause phasing issues), or you'd need to calculate the nearest coordinate on the ambiance grid to your player.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Simter via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : pauliyobo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ironcross32 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : chrisnorman7 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Dragonlee via Audiogames-reflector