Re: Let's Talk Combat

@15:  That's basically what the Slay the Spire bosses are like.
One thing I love about that game that I've never seen before is that you can see enemy intents during your turn.  If something intends to attack me during its turn, I know about it beforehand and can choose to counter it (or not.)
You won't see specifics about what buffs or debuffs enemies intend to apply but since most of the monsters act on certain patterns it's not hard to figure out and it's not meant to be hard either.
I'm not a huge fan of the active turn-based systems like A Dark Room because the games we have that use those systems are way too simplistic.  Your goal is to accumulate as many attacks as possible and fire them as soon as their bars fill.  At that point, I'd rather combat be automated and your character run all attacks when they're ready.
I've never played the final fantasy games that use that system though and I imagine they did a far better job keeping it complex and engaging.
Do you guys remember the Battle Arena iOS game?  That was a great example of a turn-based game that was complex, engaging and didn't put too much emphasis on having the right equipment for each fight.