Re: An inquiry about Mathematics courses and Braille

Graphing can be done with some success with something like the Draftsman from APH, plus understanding from your professor.  You want a draftsman even if it means selling your soul.

In higher level mathematics, the easiest way to get around the scribe problem is to learn to typeset LaTeX.  Mathplayer is really shitty, but Mathplayer plus Mathtype for Word can let you type math equations into a word document and have a reasonable chance of proofing them.

If you have to use a scribe, make the school give you a scribe that knows enough mathematics to scribe it properly.  If they won't, you have so much ammunition it's not even funny.

Braille does become obsolete at these levels, yes.  I would never particularly want to code in Braille.  But for math it's still kind of the only way to actually work the problem.  You shouldn't ever really be afraid to just invent your own contractions and things--I always did integral as int(a, b, function) like it was source code, and then just dropped the bounds and integral sign for the entirety of the problem after that.  Even with the contractions, yes, the equations will be 60+ cells.

If you learn to write LaTeX you can also learn to read LaTeX, which is sometimes a good way to get a test.  If this is a standardized test you're probably stuck with braille, but in college sometimes professors use it and can give it to you on request.  I managed to do daily multivariable calculus quizzes that way in class without needing extra time, surprisingly.  But multivariable calculus is kind of nice because it dropped a lot of the algebra, at least in my case.

Not sure what to tell you about them trying to force Braille code down your throat.  There are actually coders who use braille displays.  I've never understood why, it seems horribly, horribly inefficient and I am a proficient enough braille reader that if there's some saving grace I'd have expected to find it.  Maybe just never bothering to learn how to make synths go fast.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : amerikranian via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : black_mana via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : black_mana via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : black_mana via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : black_mana via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bgt lover via Audiogames-reflector