Re: I need help installing cyanogen mod on my Nexus 7 2013

Hi Chris

It's been a while since I've done this, so I hope this helps. I can tell you how to unlock the bootloader using your windows xp virtual machine.
First, install this: http://goo.gl/XrlqcU

This is the nexus toolkit, which I found extremely useful while installing custom roms on my Nexus 7. Once installed, open the program and connect your device. I don't remember this next part word for word here but there should be an option that says something along the lines of Unlock Bootloader. Choose this, and follow the instructions. When it asks you to confirm the action on your Nexus, press the volume up button, followed by the power button. After a few seconds you'll get confirmation, and your bootloader will be unlocked. At this point I had to get sighted assistance to flash the rom, but the installer that @superantoha mentioned wasn't around so that may be able to assist you in flashing without sighted assistance.
Also, I do not know if the installer preserves the google apps. When you flash CyanogenMod manually, you will not get the google apps. In order to fix this, find the archive of apps, usually called GAPS.zip or something similar. This must be flashed onto your device at the same time as CyanogenMod.
Again, the installer may do this for you and greatly simplify the process.

Hope this helps.