Re: I am affronted by the presence of god

@51
The scientific method is very, very new.  I think 1700s-ish, but not sure on the exact dates.  It's not innate to people.  You have to learn it.  It's not self-propagating, and is actually counterintuitive to most people even once explained.

I would go so far as to say that really getting the scientific method at a deep level is as rare as atheism, and with a large overlap.  it's easy enough to do it because the science god/your teacher/whatever said that's how science has to happen, but it's very hard to understand *why*.

@53
Population control can be solved in many ways without pain.  Population control can be solved without even mandating that humans die.  For example an infinite universe in which there is no speed of light, any human can opt out of gravity for them and their spacecraft, and every single planet is capable of supporting human life and close enough to all the other planets that you can go home for dinner.  Just add on that there's a couple magic rocks that are easy to find and when you put them next to each other you get a controlled reactionless rocket engine that doesn't require any energy and there you go, space eutopia.

The only beings that would have to use things like disease for population control are not all powerful by any means.  In order to need to implement suffering of any sort, you have to be a being that's operating under constraints.  For example some alien civilization who is stuck with the laws of physics as implemented in our universe.  All-powerful beings actually don't necessarily have any need to even bring humans into being, because if they're lonely etc they can just rewrite themselves so that they're not anymore, no "here are other people to talk to" workarounds necessary.

People really have trouble getting what all-powerful god means.  The arguments for why pain must exist and so on, they all have implicit assumptions.  There couldn't be a war in heaven if god were all-powerful, either.  All-powerful means you get whatever you want exactly how you want it, and if it's impossible you just change the rules so it's possible.  Any being such as that which creates something with suffering and death is so evil that it makes Hitler look like a saint, and if we had the power to end them we should unquestionably do so instantly.  If we assume that god exists, they're either all-powerful or good.  They can't be both.