Re: I am affronted by the presence of god

Why would someone write a seven-hundred-page work of fiction? Talk to Stephen King, whose motives were both money and entertainment. I suspect that those who originally wrote the Bible had far less pure a motive even than this. "Do what se say" pretty much boils it down. I'm sorry, but while I can take religious individuals each by each - as all of us should - I am not disposed to be kind toward organized religion. For every problem it tries to solve, it creates dozens of others.

My fundamental problem is just this.
Scientific inquiry will, if properly used, test hypotheses and ultimately will validate or invalidate those hypotheses. When a scientific theory is destroyed, it's pretty much done. We know that gravity exists, and peanuts won't float off into space if you spill them on the ground. We also know the earth is flat. This is demonstrable, and repeatedly provable. Science says, "If you can't prove it, it's not real".
Religion starts in exactly the opposite direction. It applies a "therefore God" to every single dangling thread. It starts with a premise and then works backward. Ultimately, in religious discourse, we are challenged to -disprove an assertion. So while I'm here, discoursing religiously, I would like to state that there is a sentient organism on Saturn that is more powerful than God. Now, go ahead and disprove that, because until you do, it is fundamentally true.