Re: Getting Into Game Of Thrones

@Mslion, For plot reminders I'd also suggest http://www.westeros.org/ there is a very good wiki which has details of just about everyone, and it is perfect reading for not spoiling your experience because each characters section is devided up by book, so say if you wanted to find out what a character like Tyrion or John Snow was doing in just game of thrones and not the other book you could navigate by heading down to game of thrones and read that section, they also have a variety of summaries of the book action including chapter by chapter ones if you wish.
I'll likely be using them myself when winds of Winter comes out sinse though i do  intend to read the hole series again I will obviously just want to jump streight into Winds of winter but will need a little background.

As to similar series, Tad williams Memory sorrow and thorn is similar in many respects, indeed Martin himself has admitted williams was an infl uence on game of thrones. It does have a more standard fantasy setup in some respects in that there is a defined hero, and there is an extensive conflict with magic, but in terms of a series with great politics where literally nobody is safe it is certainly in the same area as game of thrones. Shadowmarch, williams other none related fantasy series has some similarities as well, though is rather different in emphasis in a lot of places.

Robbin Hobb's books have a similar grim and highly realistic historical theme, but are written from an entirely different perspective, being far smaller in scale and working around only one, or at most several characters, though if you want grim and unexpectedly nasty they certainly fall into that category.

I'd also recommend Patric Rothfuss Kingkiller. AGain, very different in emphasis sinse he basically is telling one man's life story, and I wouldn't describe the books as bloody although they're certainly not safe, but there is a quality of reality in the characters, in the lifestyle and in the detail given to the world that reminded me of martin.

I'mgetting  the malasan book of the fallen series at the moment, sinse I've heard very good things and definitely want to give them a try.