Re: Bathroom appliaces for blind/VI users

[ a-t ]@Cw, yes, this topic is whacky, though i agree finding out the history and provonance of common place things can be an interesting thing.

@Sean, talkingmicrowaves already exist. see This link A blind neighbor of mine left me one in his will. It was odd, before I had it I wouldn't have said one was particularly necessary sinse those standard knob control ones (the ones that have one dial for setting temperature and one undernieth for time), are very accessible (you might not even need labels if you have a good timer), but I've rather liked having it, though admitedly this is mostly because the generator in it is a bit uba so does stuff very quickly! big_smile.

If it busts I might actually think about rebuying one, indeed I thought it had broken earlier this year but i t turned out it just needed a clean and a reset.

Of course there are those annoying microwaves with those utterly impossible touchpads as you said, but those aren't quite universal yet, same goes for ovens, mine has braille labels that we stuck on anyway, though many other appliances like the good old george are just push buttons.

I can't speak for dishwashers though sinse I've never really seen the point of them unless you've got about five people in your housewho eat regularly, sinse I'm just on my own and only have my own pots to wash I just do them myself.

As to running things through smart phone, well I never really see why you would need! a smart fridge, sinse hay, it's a fridge, you put stuff in, it makes stuff cold! what else do you want?

I suppose smart phone control of something like an oven or microwave would work, but that seems a tad overkill in the software department when the things are easy enough to make acce ssible, or in the case of microwaves exist in an accessible form anyway. About the best appliance you could control via smartphone would be a washing machine sinse there are so many programs and the knobs are fiddly.

In kitchin design, the best I could think of access wise would be say some none stick counter tops to make pouring easier and not make spilling stuff so dire, plus an oven with those contact hobs that only keep hot when you put stuff on them, not to touch, ---- although again, kevla oven gloves are wonderful things! big_smile.