Re: Size of muds?

I have tried disckworld mud earlier this year. As I said above, Anke Morpork was indeed truly gigantic, or at least it certainly seemed that way, and the descriptions were extremely good, even in the basic newbie area, let alone Anke Morpork. There are also some extremely good textual descriptions on the wiki, however the city was so well described with the roads named, each building being distinct that I could actually navigate very well by simply remembering where I had been, what road things were on  or looking for familiar landmarks.

I however got deeply frustrated very quickly, sinse basically the game gives you absolutely zero, none, zippo, nada idea of what to actually do. There isn't a way to find quest masters, and the goals command which just gives you a mega long list of doom just isn't adequate at all. The game kept promising lots of activities and things from smithing, to potion making, and it also had a very fluid guild and experience system as w ell sinse you could actually learn stuff on your own or be taught by other players, however I just got really! frustrated with having not even a hint of direction and feeling like I was basically wandering at random, particularly sinse what I actually wanted was a game where I could feel like a character in the Disc world books, be sent on missions by the patrician, get into bar fights in the mended drumb, have commander Vimes request I help the city watch etc, however though there were one or two recognizable faces with the npcs, there just weren't many ways to interact with them at all, no quests they would give or services they provided, indeed the only npcs in Anke Morpork I found who served any purpose were trainers and shop keepers, and even those were a bit useless sinse there was nothing to fight unless you wanted to go randomly killing ravens and rats for no reason at all.

I don't know if people on that mud are more into rp and that is the reason it felt so empty, but the hole thing I just found completely impenitrable and more than a little disappointing. I might try again at some stage, sinse it's certainly one of the best written and best describes muds I've seen, but for activities and actually stuff to do beyond wandering the streets I'm not sure, ----  ironically the most fun I had was in the newbie pumpkin village area precisely because that had a recognizable tutorial and easily locatable quest masterts who gave me stuff to do.