Re: Distancing myself from the blind community

Oddly enough, once someone gets themselves banned that is usually that. I tend to find trolls who just exist to be trolls are less common on this forum, or are very much easier to spot and deal with anyway, than people who simply cannot have a civilized disagreement and degenerate into name calling. In a lot of cases, people will take moderation warnings in the spirit in which they're meant and leave off. However, in other cases people just don't have the maturity to back off from an arguement or to disagree amicably, and in those cases those are the people who get banned.

Even with bans, I've known people who recieve a temporary ban and then grow up and have become valuable members later, although some haven't.

What is more an issue I find is mob mentality, when an arguement escalates, usually with a small vocal minority and a large vocal majority or people who attempt to sit on the fence of the arguement but get drawn into one side or the other. In some of those cases it's possible to head the flame train off at the pass, in others it unfortunately is not and that usually results in topic closure and often someone getting warnings or bans.

Still, one of the more interesting balancing acts I find as a moderator is being in the position of not wanting! to use brute force tactics like bans etc, sinse generally the more you resort to such things the more you will have to, but at the same time being willing to do so as and when necessary, which I can say is less often than people might think.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ghost rider via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : danny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ghost rider via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : arjan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : themadviolinist via Audiogames-reflector