Re: memories of a spammer.

Hello,
Agreed, we all make mistakes. I remember the days of freedom chat, and the power of operator status in channels. The power to make others operators, the power to kick and ban others at will is a dangerous one if misused. The fact that I would fire at random definitely did not help matters. The good news is, within months I suddenly realized what I was doing wrong. I don't exactly know how it happened, as strangely, I wasn't attacked or anything. I think one day my thoughts just clicked into place. I think what did it was a lot of folks from the forum were starting to join the network, and I had my own channel that would become a bit of a hang out, and it was there that I definitely softened. I remember the days of the game bots as well. When I discovered those, I would introduce them to my friends and things really did become fun probably because I'd found something to do. I even discovered mIRC scripting and started to create some scripts for my own bot . I completed a rather large script which is known as Zetton, complete with a basic story of sorts, in around five days, and to this day I'd consider it my best IRC script even though looking back it is very very cheasey, and honestly does not amount to much. You are basically in a lab and have to battle against the big bad, known simply as the experimenter, going up some elevator floors and just facing the usual tropes, from mutated dogs to robots and other random machines. Yes, that's how cheasey it got. It even incorperated memes such as a parody of badger badger known as crusher crusher, which actually got real silly at times, maybe a bit too much now that I look back. It was the thing I really wanted to code once decided though, and was determined to finish, and it felt like I had a purpose of sorts, and playing the finished result, really made me feel like I'd achieved something. I even started to work on a sequel. Who knows, if I can learn some sort of scriptin g language like Dragonflame or BGT, I might bring it back, remade. Still quite simple, but remade and different from the original nonetheless.
My favourite IRC script came after Zetton though. Before and after, the thing we liked to do was create scripts which allowed you to battle against a computer opponent of sorts, just random numbers really. Well, when forumight Arjan saw this, he really went for it, creating several different scripts, until his most awesome one came along. He had many attacks coded, but did something that neither he nor oriol had done before, which inspired me. Depending on how much damage was done the message was different, and it was actually quite atmospheric. Instead of saying you hit your opponent for x damag, or you freeze your opponent for x damage, ti would go into quite a long detail, from barely shocking your opponent to sending thousands of volts through them, or making a very painful slash. The best one was when we loaded up all the fighting s cripts at once and so it looked like we were battling against four opponents at once, from generic punches, to sword slashes, to the one that arjan made with lightning and such. Basically, you'd just set up the name of your computer opponent and the game would do the rest, prompting you to enter a command. Seriously, good times. Very good times indeed.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : the terminator via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : blindncool via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : the terminator via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bashue via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : the terminator via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : blindncool via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Spiraling Wyvern via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : arjan via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : GeneWarner via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector