Mike Hanson Wrote:
> I hope no one jumps to the conclusion that the SB2's internal DAC is
> unacceptable.
I agree.  My opinion is mearly based on *my* own experience with the
SB2 on *my* listening room system.  On my other system it is more than
acceptable.  And I'm sure it also is on many many other systems.

Mike Hanson Wrote:
> The moral of the story here is don't assume that you MUST have an
> external DAC to appreciate the SB2 in an "audiophile" system.  You
> might save yourself a bit of money.
I'll agree but... the above depends on some subjective variables.

First, each person's definition of an "audiophile system" may vary.

Second, my definition of external DAC is a dedicated box in which the
sole purpose is to convert digital input (coming from a source CD) to
analog line level output.  So internal DACs of receivers, sound cards
or any other devices with more than a simple DAC function don't count.

And finally, kronos did ask -"to give us your impressions on the ANALOG
output of the squeezebox 2 compared to your *hi-end hi-fi set-up*"-.  I
can't possibly imagine how the SB2's internal DAC and analog section
can be expected to perform at the level required in a hi-end system.
Even in my non hi-end system, the difference is obvious.

Therefore, I would say that an external DAC is, in fact, a MUST to
appreciate the SB2 in a hi-end audiophile system.  If it's not a hi-end
system then perhaps not.  It still depends on the system though (like in
my case).

But like I said previously, this is all subjective.  There is no right
or wrong.  Just varying opinions based on varying experiences.

--
Aylwin