Mike Hanson Wrote:
> I think most would consider my office amplification and speakers (which
> would have retailed for well over $5K when new) as an "audiophile
> system".

I'm just saying that, *in general*, definitions may vary.  This has
nothing to do with your system and and nothing to do with cost.

Mike Hanson Wrote:
> I think you're being a bit pedantic.  Even if it's not in a
> single-purpose box, it's still a separate DAC, with its own performance
> traits.  For example, the DAC in my Roland VS-880 was far better than
> the SB1's internal module, and I was happy to use it for a while.
> Ignoring it just because it's not a single-purpose device doesn't make
> much sense.

Well, it makes sense to me and it's down to definitions.  Maybe I AM
being pedantic but to me, an audiophile system consists of: 2 front
speakers, speaker cables, power amp + pre amp (or integrated),
interconnects and a source.  For our purposes, that source is PCM (from
a CD player or via the SB2).  So, if I were to consider whether or not
to *add* an external DAC to my existing audiophile setup then it would
naturally be a dedicated box.  What other functionality would I need to
add?  To my understanding, that was the point of the original question.

Obviously, if there are other components in the existing system that
also have DACs (like a receiver or sound card) then a comparison can
easily be made.  One can then judge which of their components has the
best internal DAC.  That may very well be the SB2.  Still, the SB2
won't beat a good external DAC (or should I say, dedicated DAC?) as you
yourself have noticed with your Benchmark.

Mike Hanson Wrote:
> The point I was trying to make was that not everyone would determine
> that an external DAC is a "MUST", and that you should begin with the
> understanding that the internal DAC in the SB2 is really quite good.

No arguments there.  My point was just referring to the original
question where I still feel that an external DAC is a must in a hi-end
audiophile system.  I don't think that necessarily conflicts with your
statement above.

Mike Hanson Wrote:
> Ultimately, finding an external DAC with significantly better
> performance was more of a challenge than I originally expected...

By my definition of "external DAC" where I only consider dedicated
boxes, it's not a challenge at all.  Again, you may say I'm being
pedantic but the definition matters to me.  To name a few external DACs
that I would consider:

MSB LinkDACIII or higher (includes Nelson, Gold and Platinum)
Bel Canto DAC
California Labs Alpha or Sigme DAC
Musical Fidelity A234 (and maybe even X-DAC)
Audio Note DAC 1.1 or higher
Ack DAC
Perpetual Technologies P-3A
EVS Millenium DAC
plus, the Scott Nixon (with good power supply)
and Benchmark DAC1 you've already mentioned.

Obviously, receivers, pc sound cards and the like don't count.  Why
would I add one of those to a perfectly working audio system?

I think we're arguing two different things.  I don't disagree with any
of your comments.  I completely agree that the SB2's analog outputs are
very good indeed.  However, do you disagree that an external DAC (like
the one's I've mentioned above) is a must for the SB2 to be in a
*hi-end* audiophile system?  Okay, if "must" is a bit strong, how about
we say that an external DAC provides a considerable noticeable
improvement?

--
Aylwin