NealG Wrote:
> Lee, as your not a million miles from me I could bring over my
> re-clocked and re-housed SB1 and standard SB2 for you to hear the
> differences.  I won't hint at which I feel is best, I'll let your ears
> decide!...

Found this thread while trying to decide if I should upgrade to SB2s.

My house is littered with SB1s, all but one wired. While most are in
areas where the sonics are irrelivant, two are connected to high
quality DACs in rooms where we do seriously listen. I'm wondering if
the dig output is meaningfully better on the SB2. Also curious how your
moded unit fares.

Have you done the shootout? How did it go?

FYI: For years I've used the "looks the same to wife" method of trading
up and upgrading my equipment too.

A chance chat with an older audiophile who used similar methods will
always stick with me. He had for years used Audio Research, Theta and
Wilson, in part because the look barely changed from year to year. He
told me that his wife had died a few years previous to our
conversation. That now he could buy whatever component he wanted
regardless of matching esthetics but that without her, the new
equipment seldom brought him joy.

--
Harry G