Errrrm, I do feel a little daft joining in this conversation about
attenutation and dB and 0dBu's as I have not got the faintest idea what
you rather technical people are all talking about, but would like to
learn a little if possible...

The Preamp Volume Control is default Zero, which means full volume.....
approx. 2Vrms? - (normal CD o/p)

I guess attenuation has something to do with adjusting the signal level
which in this case equates to the volume.

The range 0.0 to 63.0 - So the setting 0.0 being approx. 2Vrms and 63db
being 0V, if I had a power amp that likes 0.8V, a setting closer to the
63.0 than the 0.0, would please the power amp...?

So, the firmware lets SB2 know what these settings mean, or does the
firmware help with SNR?

If you do understand how I am thinking, and what I would like to
understand in the simplest form, I would love to hear nice simplistic
explanations if possible, thanks for your patience.

--
Deaf Cat