Cheers for the explanations, All Clear, except, hope you don't mind
another (maybe daft) question:

>Not quite. dB (decibels) are a logrithmic measurement, usually
referenced to some standard value. dBu are referenced to 0.7746v.

>For the stock SB2, output is 2.12v(rms). In dBu, this is:

>20 x log10(2.12 / 0.7746) = 8.75dBu

>Say you want to reduce your output to 0dBu, you need to add 8.75dBu of

attenuation. This would reduce the max Vout(rms) to 0.7746v.

So, take 8.75dBu off of 2.12V to end up with 0.7746V (Which is what my
power amp would like-roughly 0.8V-cool)

So, if we add 8.75dBu attenuation (it would be safest to round it to
9dBu I suppose) into the Option Box in the Audio settings for the SB2
we should be fine.

But how does the 8.75dBu relate to the 0.0 - 63.0dB scale?

Oh Boy! Takes alot of brain power to almost understand that taking off
is addin on and 0 is 0.7, quite intresting how logs relate though.

>I hope the above helps.

Absolutly!

>BTW, the firmware has just been relased. I've downloaded it and can
report that it's working well.

Is this in the 6.2, 2005-09-09 download?

>I'm not sure that the way of setting the attenutation is the most
intuitive of user interfaces, but it does the job.

Your telling me!! Who would have thought it a! Buy a bit of audio
equipment and then starting to want to know about Logarithms!!

Thanks again for the explanations.

> How about just a pop-up list with "quiet", "not so quiet", "loud",
"eleven"? :)

""eleven"" - FAB.....

--
Deaf Cat