Dave D wrote:

-- Anything else?

Dave,

Don't overlook the fact that your equipment might not be good enough to show the difference.

I tried a few external DACs with my SB1 and, when I first tried, I couldn't hear any difference between the SB1 internal DAC, an Arcam Delta, and Art DI/O, and a Perpetual Technologies P3-A plus P1-A correction engine.

I identified that it was my amp that wasn't good enough (a Rotel RA820A) so, being that way inclined, I got the soldering iron out and made a few mods - upgraded op amps, replace coupling caps, bypass electrolytics with film caps, re-routed the signal away from the tone controls, etc.

Once I'd done this, I was easily able to hear differences between DACs.

I see from one of your later posts that you're listening with Labtec headphones. Well, I don't have any experience of those, but looking at their website I see they are primarily a computer peripheral manufacturer and would not expect their headphones to be very good.

Also, your main system - Advent speakers and Onkyo TX-860. Again, I have no direct experience of those components, but you say yourself that you believe the Labtech headphones to be better.

Anyway, I hope that's given you food for thought.

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,