Dave D wrote:
As I mentioned above, I think the Advents are kaputt.  The _specs_ on
the TX-860 are better than any low-midrange home theater receivers I've
been considering recently from Denon and HK.  Have not looked at
2-channel amps.  I really have a hard time justifying spending money on
separate components (2-channel vs. HT), and I'd like to add HT sometime
in the next year or two.

One possible alternative is to look at HT decoders, i.e. boxes that do all the processing but have no amplifier built in. Then you can use good quality 2-channel amps, or at least use one good quality 2-channel setup for the main L+R speakers and make do with something cheaper for the rear and centre speakers.

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,