On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 21:16 -0700, seanadams wrote:
> pfarrell Wrote:
> > What about just adding  a tube preamp stage out of the SB2?
> How about doing it in software?

Would software make the proper glow?

Of course, there is a lot of voodoo and wacko stuff about tubes and tube sound.
Not only in audiophile stuff, but also in low-end recording gear. A fair
number of companies have solid state mic preamps or EQs or compressors
with a single 12AX7 in it, and claim "tube warmth" as a result.
Many of these are phantom powered, which is DC @ 48V max, and I don't
know how you can properly power tubes with that little power.

Most real tube gear uses 400 or 500V supplies, because tubes are great
voltage amplifiers, but not so hot at current. So you modulate the
voltage and then use transformers to convert high voltage at low current
to low voltage at high current driving.

I know that there are models of tube amps. For example, I have a Line6
guitar preamp/modeler, and it does a pretty decent job of emulating the
sound of a Marshall 50 watt system or an old Fender Bandmaster. But I
have no idea what makes it sound that way. I expect they have a clipping
model that adds second and fourth order harmonics. I'd love to know
more.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html